Monday, June 10, 2013

My Goal to Live a Healthier Lifestyle: Being Food Conscious

My Goal to Live a Healthier Lifestyle: Being Food Conscious


 I'll readily admit that I have never, ever been conscious of what I was putting in my mouth.  I didn't care how much I ate or what I ate.  If I wanted it, I ate it.  I was always blessed with a relatively high metabolism and small to medium build.  Before I became pregnant with my son, the highest weight I had ever been was 138 lbs.

After having my bundle of joy, I cinched the weight easily with being actively employed and breastfeeding for a year.  One year after giving birth, I weighed less than pre-pregnancy.

I don't know what happened.  It was a combination of job shuffling, bad eating habits, quitting smoking, and other bad habits.  However, I eventually jumped up to over 150 lbs.  Yes, I know this is not fat, and I'm not saying I was.

I was unhappy with my body, my habits, and my health, though.  I believed this had to be the beginning of a downward spiral for me, because women like me grew up to be 40 year-olds who are overweight and bury their problems in food.

I wasn't disciplined.  I exercised occasionally and only casually.  I ate candy bars galore (my weakness is chocolate) and stuffed my face with whatever else I deemed delicious for the day.


  

It started with simply working out.  The scale at the gym confirmed what I had intuitively knew, I was just over 150 lbs.  Many friends, coworkers, and my family were in disbelief that I truly weighed that much.  The told me how great I looked or how nice it was to finally see "meat on my bones".

I didn't care what they said or the judgement they still offhandedly pass toward me.  This was about feeling great about myself again and about being healthier.  I want to pave the path for my children to lead healthy lives and make great choices.

After working out several days a week for awhile, I realized it wasn't enough.  That's when I discovered Calorie Count.  I didn't use the app at first, just the website.  Eventually I downloaded the app to my iPad to log my food at work and I love it.

I use the website more frequently, still, but it's a great community and it's very informative.  I have discovered so much about food and my nutrition.  You can track everything from calories to sodium to fiber.  I encourage anyone who is trying to eat healthier to use it!

Because of my new decision to be food conscious and calorie conscious, I have discovered foods like flourless pancakes and three ingredient waffles!  I'm always on the lookout for delicious, healthy eats.  Do you have any favorites to share?  Post in the comments below!

0 comments:

Post a Comment