Saturday, June 8, 2013

Healthy Eats: Flourless Pancakes & Three Ingredient Waffles

Healthy Eats: Flourless Pancakes & Three Ingredient Waffles

My sweet tooth is probably one of my biggest weaknesses.  I love chocolate, baked treats, and anything packed full of sugar and sweetness. So, while trying to be a little more food (and calorie) conscious, I've been getting a little creative finding healthy and low-calorie ways to feed my sweet tooth and get other nutrients.  Thus came the Flourless Pancakes and Healthy Waffles.
 If you didn't know already, you should know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day!  I think it's one of the most common skipped meals, too, and it's very important that we have a good, healthy breakfast to be on the fast track to health success!

Well, my breakfast goal is to be full until lunch (between 11:00 and 11:30), be under 250 calories, and be nutrition packed!  This is so hard to do!  However, thanks to Blogilates, I discovered this simple pancake recipe!

Healthy Flourless Pancakes

  • 2 whole eggs
  • 1 whole banana (peeled)
  1. Mash banana and mix in eggs.
  2. Cook in hot skillet or preheated gridle/waffle maker.  (I say no to the skillet and the pancake will never turn waffle-y, even if you leave them in the waffle maker until they're black.)
These were 83 calories per waffle-sized/shaped pancake and I even added cinnamon, brown sugar, and vanilla extract to my mix because I don't like bananas that much.  If you don't add that stuff, yours will be even less calories!

  Three Ingredient Healthy Waffles

  • 3 whole eggs
  • 3 whole bananas (peeled)
  • 1/4 cup flour
  1. Mash bananas first and combine all other ingredients with mashed bananas.
  2. Cook in pre-heated waffle iron.
You can add all kinds of stuff to these waffles to give yourself more nutrients or just to yum them up even more!  Here's what I added to mine and their nutritional values.
  • 2 tbsp peanutbutter spread (zero calorie)
  • 1/3 cup quick oats
  • 1/3 cup chocolate chips
  • 1 tbsp Cocoa powder
  •  2 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp cinnamon
197 calories per waffle with 5.7g of protein and 3.7g fiber.  Serve will jelly for another 50 or so calories!
I'm so in love with these waffles, because I can freeze them and pop them in the toaster for breakfast.  I stay full and get some protein and fiber, which seem hard to come by for me.  Also, I'm not big on the banana taste, so I like all the other stuff in there!  Add anything you want, just remember it changes your calorie count and nutritional values.

Do you have a favorite healthy breakfast recipe?  Please share in the comments below!

0 comments:

Post a Comment