Monday, May 27, 2013

My Goal to Live a Healthier Lifestyle: Kicking the Smoking Habit

My Goal to Live a Healthier Lifestyle: Kicking the Smoking Habit

Time and time again I have told myself that I could do better.  I've always been a bit of a perfectionist, but I procrastinate and get easily sidetracked, so it's not unusual for me to lose sight of my goals...whatever they may be.  Well, health is something I've always attacked passively.  It's never been a priority of mine, unfortunately.

I started smoking before I was even in high school and was smoking a pack a day by the time I had my son in May 2010 (what would have been the end of my senior year).  It wasn't until late January of 2012 that I kicked the habit, after smoking for about seven years.  Seven years!  I can't believe, in my young life, that I smoked for seven years!


Ironically, I didn't quit smoking because I wanted to live longer, be healthier, or anything like that.  I quit smoking because I had recently bought a new vehicle with a $185 per month price tag.  Apparently, money was more motivating to me than my own health.  Do you know how sad that is?  Well, I will be the first to admit it.  That is sad.

I quit smoking cold turkey.  I'll admit that it wasn't easy.  Days two and three were the hardest.  I was working at Applebees as a full time cook at the time.  I think around 90% of my coworkers--whether cook, waitress, bartender, host, or manager--smoked.  Plus, after a stressful dinner shift, I was used to going out back on the smoke deck, putting my butt on the bench, and lighting up a sweet, relaxing cigarette.

I actually remember, vividly, the make or break point for me.  I don't know if it was after the first 24 hours (day 2) or after the first 48 hours (day 3), but I had decided:  screw it, I need to smoke!  One of the very few employees that didn't smoke told me that, in fact, I did not need to smoke.  I needed to keep my behind inside and work and forget about the cigarette.  This didn't make me want one any less.  It's not like he convinced me or my body that I didn't want one, but I realized...I did not need that cigarette.

For me, quitting smoking was all bragging rights and paying my car payment.  $4 to $5 per day x 30 days is $135 per month.  That was fifty dollars shy of my car payment.  It got better after day three.  This all makes sense, considering how much information you can find on the internet about the first 72 hours smoke free.  I have heard before and can even find information online that says that you need 72 hours to become nicotine free and this is the withdrawal peak period.  Thinking back now, that makes a lot of sense.

I suppose it really doesn't matter what motivates you, as long as you can get motivated.  Now I appreciate that I had my greed to push me through.  I glad I wanted that shiny red (now totaled) car more than I wanted a cigarette.  I'm glad that I am, theoretically, going to live longer and be healthier.

There are still days I wish I still smoked or I want a cigarette.  It's not the same as the withdrawal when you first quit.  It's kind of like a passing whim.  It was a little more intense after I turned 21 and was able to go out to bars with my husband.  Alcohol and cigarettes are sort of married in my book, so it was a little trying to separate the two or be around so many smokers.  Now, though, even that's passed.

Over one year and four months smoke free!

0 comments:

Post a Comment